Thursday, March 13, 2008

Making Discoveries

Yesterday I had the privilege to work alongside the grade five students in Kevin Jones' class. Students were sharing the contents of their hope kits with each other (we are in phase one: exploring hope and service of the Hope-Focused Service-Learning Program). After completing a hope thinking tool, the students were asked to reflect on three questions. One of the three questions asked the students what they learned about other people's hope as they shared their kits with another classmate.

Kevin reminded the students that to uncover their ideas about hope, they had to think like researchers, a term we use often in the Hope-Focused Service-Learning program. That was when he changed the word learn to discover. He changed the prompt from what did you "learn", what did you "discover" as you shared your hope kits with each other?

I was struck by the difference that word "discover" made for me as I listened in. I felt more drawn into the question, "What did you discover?" Somehow the question felt more meaningful - something I could be curious about.

Meaning and purpose has its place in a number of theoretical hope models. And when people ask me about my definition of hope, I share one I have adapted from Ronna Jevne (one of the co-founders of the Hope Foundation of Alberta). Hope is about envisioning and working toward a meaningful and desired future that we/I can participate in with interest and enthusiasm.

As I write this, I realize that "discovering" invites me into the process of what I am actually learning. I wonder what Kevin and his students will discover about their own and others' hope when they discuss the reflection questions today. I wonder also, how the question, "What did you discover?" influences students' engagement in their overall learning in other contexts.

No comments: