Friday, March 14, 2008

More Discoveries

A very good friend and colleague of mine, Wendy Edey, read the posting titled making discoveries and suggested I change the title to discovering to hope. She knows about these things because she has been blogging and using hope-focused strategies in her work longer than me. I agree with her. Discovering to hope, like the title of this blog and my upcoming website (under construction) addresses the many multitude of things that are made possible when we use the term discover instead of learn. It is a better title because it intriguing and better says what I was trying to in that posting.

And yet, I can not change the title. For one thing it took me a long time to come up with the title 'making disoveries'. Making discoveries says something that discovering to hope doesn't.

Discovering connotates, to me at least, the necessity of continually asking new questions. Learning connotates completion - being finished with something. With hope, as with much of what we experience in life, there is no end to what we understand and struggle with. I often end my reflections with new wonders. Often times glimmers of insight don't come to these wonders for a long time, but when they do, they seem to have extra meaning. Perhaps it is because I have something to attach them to.

Wendy's suggested title might become the title of a chapter in a book some day. Making discoveries will most likely be a sub-title. In the meantime, I will continue to ponder how making discoveries is the first step or at least one of the steps that enables us to disover the power of hope. So now I am left wondering about the title for this posting.....

No comments: